Click here for a New History of St. Michael's Published June 2012
A little bit of history...........
In 1910, Bishop Edward P. Allen of Mobile asked priests from the Vincentian Community in Philadelphia to come to East Alabama to servce one hundred and fifty Catholics spread over a ten county area. The sons on St. Vincent de Paul, whose early beginnings were amount the rural poor, accepted this work. Opelika, then a railroad center, became their first home, and for forty years thereafter priests commuted to Auburn. The Vincentians built the first Catholic Church in Auburn in 1912. Named Sacred Heart, the church served its small membership for over three decades.
In 1952, Father Patrick Doran, C.M. rented an apartment directly acorss the street from the FIrst Presbyterian Church and became the first resident pastor. With growth occurring after World War II, Fr. Doran bought as a recotry an old boarding house named Carr Hall, on what is now the parking lot across from Tiger Rags store. When the Blake residence was purchased in 1961, Fr. Joseph Konen, C.M., sold the Gay Street residence in order to consolidate the parish's finances and to proceed with the erection of a new church in the round. It was then that Bishop Toolen officially changed the parish name to St. Michael the Archangel.
In 1953, Fr. Joseph Kennedy, C.M. started the St. Martin de Porres Mission Chapel, Day Care Center and Thrift Shop in the neighborhood located between Donahue and Boykin Streets. Families from that area became members of St. Michael's when the mission chapel was closed. The day care center became known as Joyland in 1974, under the auspices of St. Michael's Church.
In the last 1970s Sisters from the Missionary Servants of the Blessed Trinity came to minister at St. Michael's. Following the Missionary Servants, The Daughters of Charity served here for ten years. In 1992 the Missionary Servants returned to St. Michael's and stayed until 1998.
In 1983, a greatly needed multi-purpose facility, auditoriaum, kitchen, convent, rectory, offices and classrooms were built and opened in 1988.
On December 6, 2009, Archbishop Thomas J. Rodi dedicated our current location on North College Street. St. Michael's now number approximately 950 registered families.
At Auburn University at least 2,000 Catholic students are enrolled. In 2009, Auburn+Catholic Campus Ministry opened it's doors on Mitcham Avenue.
Our unique mixture of resident families and students, all sharing space under one roof, promises a bright future for the Church in Auburn.
Mission Statement of the Parish:
The mission of St. Michael's Catholic Church is to proclaim the good news of Our Lord through a loving, caring, and faith-sharing community which realizes Christ's presence amoung us.